The Purchase I Regret




Before I launched off on a tangent again, let's talk about today's topic.

Talking about the purchase I regret, I must admit I had made many such purchases in the past. One of them was purchasing Korean silk at a time when it was all the rage back in the 1990s.

I remember spending thousands of ringgit on the fabrics alone. Even when I had not much cash on me I would go for broke and take out my savings or use my credit card just to get my hands on them. If I took into account the amount I had to fork out to get those fabrics custom made into baju kurung and baju kebaya, that would add at least another thousand ringgit to the overall cost.

Yet after spending an obscene amount of money to own them, I was frequently left disappointed when one after another of the custom made clothes didn't fit me well. The cut was either lopsided or the seams were untidy and crooked. It turned out that not every dressmaker had enough equipment nor skill in making baju kebaya from fabrics made of silk.

Some of the custom-made baju kebaya made me look downright ugly that I refused to wear them. To assuage my guilt though, I stashed them at the back of my wardrobe with the promise that I would get them altered someday and that one day they would be good enough to be wearable again.

Alas, it was just a fad and before long, nobody cared about Korean silk anymore. Soon, I too had to discard all of my Korean silk.

Thus, it goes without saying that buying Korean silk had indeed been one of the purchases that I most regretted. If I hadn't splurged on them, I could have had a sizeable saving by now.



07.03.2018